Sunday, May 31, 2009

It's Really Hard to take the GOP Seriously

As a liberal Democrat, it is an unusual event for me to agree with any movements within the Republican party. Since Barack Obama's endorsement of Sonia Sotomayor for the next Supreme Court Justice, many details regarding her past decisions and statements have come to surface. As an Obama supporter, I realize that I was initially biased on my evaluation of Ms. Sotomayor's qualifications; nonetheless, as I began to hear from both political party's, I realized that my anticipation for a Republican rebuttal was greatly affecting my ability to evaluate information fairly.

In short, an announcer for CNN really "hit the mark" with his immediate comments after the nomination of Sonia Sotomayer. Paraphrasing, he said something along the lines of, "and now we wait to hear the Republicans rebuttal to Ms. Sotomayor's nomination."

I realized at that moment that our two party political system is set up so that there can never really be an agreement on major decisions. For instance, it really wasn't an option for Republicans to agree with the nomination of Sonia Sotomayor. Every action Barack Obama makes has to "cause extreme potential danger" to our constitutional system. The Republicans were preparing for a rebuttal, the Democrats were anticipating reacting to this rebuttal, and the American people were waiting to (for the most part), support the party they currently feel represents their interests the most.

Honestly, I do feel that conservatives have a point regarding Sonia Sotomayor's opinion on a recent Connecticut case regarding the promotion of Police Officers. Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell is paraphrased, "[taking] aim at the judge's ruling in the 2008 case Ricci v. DeStefano, where Sotomayor backed the decision by the city of New Haven, Connecticut, to throw out the results of a firefighter promotion exam because almost no minorities qualified for promotions."

What bothers me about the whole situation is the fact that I found myself minimizing the GOP's position because my recent memory includes a plethora of irrelevant, overblown events. The Bill Ayer's issue was absolutely rediculous; I don't think anybody who is an active member of our society can honestly say they don't have a questionable acquaintance looming around somewhere in their past. Eric Cantor lost all of my respect when he blamed Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi's speach on why he did not vote for the bail-out in September 2008. I'm sorry Mr. Cantor that somebody hurt your feelings and I must say that Nancy Pelosi is probably one of my least favorite Democrats, but seriously, don't make 300 million American's suffer for your emotional issues.

So where am I going with this? It should not be expected that Republicans and Democrats can not agree on anything. Growing up, my dad used to tell me to "pick my battles wisely." Throughout my teenage years, I admit I did learn this lesson the hard way; however, my adult years has been more successful because people who know me have come to respect the fact that I only make a big deal about things that keep me up at night. Instead of spending money on partisan advertising, maybe America's citizens should come together to promote battling only the battles that matter. It wouldn't be a good thing for any of us if the deal breakers get lost in all of the political fluff.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL you had a job managing a Lehman fund and think that the stimulus package was a good idea...........wow!

You wouldn't have had that job long anyway if you can't understand the impact of creating hyper-inflation out of the printing of trillions of dollars.....

or maybe based on Lehman's wonderful record as of late, you would have fit right in with those morons who were already sinking the ship to the bottom

either way.....epic fail

BrookeATL said...

FYI: I wasn't working directly for Lehman; I was managing their Private Equity funds. I also called the bubble in February 2007...long before just about anybody else I know. I didn't fit in with the private equity people because I understood the fact the financial models were based on an unrealistic risk /reward ratio. I didn't need to be "experienced" to calculate the range of supply and demand based on the emerging demographics of Generation Y.

We are not going to have hyper-inflation; the major currencies are too interconnected these days for the dollar to inflate at the level constituting hyper-inflation. Inflation on the other hand, you are completely correct. I've been weighing the issues for months now, and I truly believe that the impact on social perception in our economy is decreasing the risky scenarios of conservative projections. In 5 years we will see...till then, call me a moron, an idiot, or any other low life blow you wish. I only wish the problems of our economy could be summed up using a simple Macro-economics 101 level definition such as hyper-inflation. The will be advanced economic theory courses created in the future because of the developments over the last decade. Personally, I think Game Theory has some of the best clues as to how to deal with the current financial situation.

Unnecessary and uncalled for insults are a great way to prove you are the Online Oracle of our financial economy.

Thanks for posting though, more people really need to take interest in learning about whats happening right now. Maybe in the future it will be easier to agree on how NOT to go down this road again.